VFW VETERAN EMPLOYER OF THE YEAR
The Purpose of the Award: To confer recognition on one employer for outstanding records in hiring and retention of veterans.
Deadline: The deadline for submission of nominations of employers of veterans is no later than February 15th to your local Post. Nominations received after that date will not be eligible for consideration for an award.
Procedure: Nominations from Posts must be sent to Department headquarters via this form only.
- Only those nominations that include adequate documentation on the nominee's employment practices concerning veterans will be considered for the Department VFW Veteran Employer of the Year award. The nominator should provide a copy of the company's written policy on employment of veterans if available, a description of how the employer supports veterans' activities in the community, and any other reasons why the nominee should be selected to be the Veteran Employer of the Year award winner. Governmental agencies are not eligible for the award.
Award: The post winner will receive a certificate presented by the Post Commander.
- Nominations to are due to Posts by February 15th and sent to Department Headquarters by March 31st.
- Identify and describe the employer's programs and or benefits designed to recruit veterans, including innovative business practices used to increase veteran recruitment. (10 points)
- Describe the employer's policies that give a preference to hire veterans, referring veterans, or any other veteran policy (VA veteran sick leave hours). Provide the positive and significant impacts these policies have on the employer's business results. (10 points)
- Describe the employer's policies or initiatives that improve the current and future veteran employer's career opportunities. (10 points)
- Provide the number of veterans employed during a set time period: 1 January 2023 to December 31 2023. (20 points)
- Describe collaborative efforts with business organizations, educational partners, and community organizations that improve veteran employment opportunities. (10 points)
- Explain why veterans would choose this employer over other employers. (10 points)
- Provide documented endorsements, newspaper articles, awards, or letters of support highlighting the nominee's contributions to veteran friendly employment or retention. (10 points)
- Provide the number of veterans employed with the employer over the last year. (10 points)
- Provide the number of veterans employed with the employer over the last five years. (10 points)